For an overview of AUMC’s response to the coronavirus pandemic, visit annandalechurch.com/cvresponse.
Director: Meredith Lamarche, email@example.com
Although we’ve suspended most activities in person because of the coronavirus pandemic, we remain committed to helping our congregation’s children to continue their spiritual growth. Our current offerings include:
- An online Children’s Corner with Bible-based games, arts and crafts projects, educational resources, and more.
- Two video lessons produced each week with the help of our Sunday School teachers – a pre-k lesson and a K-5 lesson. An email is sent on Fridays with the Youtube links to both of those videos. Each week parents also receive the links to the google drive folders for those specific lessons. This folder includes a family page and a coloring sheet each week for the pre-k kids, and pages which include mazes, coloring sheets, word searches, and other fun activities for K-5 kids.
- Zoom kid’s club meets from 9:30-9:50 a.m. on Sundays for 1st -5th graders. Two Sunday school teachers lead a time of fellowship and discussion about the week’s lesson. This zoom group is not recorded and parents can also opt to keep their video screen turned off if they prefer. For safety and security reasons, the Zoom link will not be posted anywhere but rather sent directly to the parents; contact Meredith at firstname.lastname@example.org if you have not been added to the mailing list.
- An email list for children’s activities. These emails include private Zoom links, information on occasional socially distanced outdoors get-togethers, and more. Contact Meredith at email@example.com to be added to the list.
Family VBS is moving indoors, July 17-18, 10 a.m. – 4 p.m. Due to concern about potential high temperatures, Family Vacation Bible School will now be held primarily indoors. Masks are required for all unvaccinated individuals 2+ but are optional for fully vaccinated individuals. We will explore the theme “God Is Faithful” through art, science, music, games, and more! Cost: $30 per family. Scholarships are available; please contact the church office (firstname.lastname@example.org) for more information. Questions? Contact Meredith Lamarche, AUMC’S Children’s Ministries Director, at email@example.com. Register at annandalechurch.com/vbs2021
For more information, contact Meredith Lamarche, Director of Christian Education for Children, at firstname.lastname@example.org.
Director: Rev. Peter Kwon, email@example.com
AUMC provides sixth through twelfth graders with a safe space to grow and explore their faith. We’re doing 10-minute daily Bible readings on Zoom during the coronavirus pandemic at 10 p.m.; visit our Facebook page for the link: https://www.facebook.com/groups/AnnandaleUMCYouth/. Stay connected with us on Instagram at https://www.instagram.com/annandaleumcyouth/ – for the privacy of our students, you’ll need to log in to connect with us. To keep up with Youth activities email Peter Kwon and ask him to add you to his mailing list.
- Sunday School postponed indefinitely: Since we have an in-person worship service at 10:30 a.m., the timing for Sunday school will be tricky. We will update you if anything changes.
- Supporting our students: Let Peter know your schedules for sport events, performances, or anything else! He’d love to be there to show support for you!
- We also have a month-long daily devotional available for families to use in worship and spiritual lessons together; click here to see it.
Hometown Summer Mission, July 19-23: Planning for summer vacation? Parents and students, please schedule around our Hometown Summer Mission Trip that will take place from July 19th to 23rd! We have teamed up with non-profit organizations in our NOVA community to serve others and do mission work! More info will be ironed out between our cohort church friends, but we hope that you will keep our Hometown Summer Mission in the back of your mind when you are planning for your summer!
Summer Coding/Programming Club: We’re excited to announce that the Coding Club will definitely happen this summer! We haven’t finalized a time, but it will be in the evening and meet twice a week at first while we learn the fundamentals. Please fill out a survey here and let us know if you are interested!
For more information, contact Rev. Peter Kwon, Director of Youth Ministries, at firstname.lastname@example.org.
Director: Rev. Peter Kwon, email@example.com
Young adult ministry at AUMC is for young adults, ages 18-35, who are interested in studying God’s word, sharing in Christian fellowship, and serving together in mission.
The Young Adults participate in a wide variety of other fellowship and mission activities including everything from movie nights and Superbowl parties to packaging meals for the hungry and writing Easter cards for human trafficking survivors. To be added to the AUMC Young Adults email list, contact Rev. Peter Kwon, firstname.lastname@example.org or 703-256-8330.
Our youth and young adults are reading the Bible each weeknight at 10 p.m. for 10 minutes. It’s called the 10:10 challenge. To participate, contact Pastor Peter at email@example.com or find the Zoom link here. The group is currently reading from Paul’s quarantined letters.
Director: Rev. Jason Micheli, firstname.lastname@example.org
Our Academy of Discipleship offers adult Sunday school, mid-week classes, small groups, sermon studies, guest lecturers and more. The Academy is led by Rev. Jason Micheli. Contact him at email@example.com with questions. Because of the pandemic, our classes are currently not meeting in person; check below for a variety of online offerings!
New Class on Galatians, June 7 – July 26, 7-8:15 p.m. Join Jason Micheli, David King, and Todd Littleton (pastor of Snow Hill Baptist Church in Oklahoma City) for a Zoom class tying into our new sermon series on the true Gospel meaning of freedom. Sign up at annandalechurch.com/galatiansclass.
Many of our classes and small groups are meeting remotely during the pandemic. Contact one of these leaders if you’re interested in joining:
- In His Steps class, Sundays, 9:30 a.m.; contact Bill Iwig, firstname.lastname@example.org.
- Issues in Christianity class, Sundays, 10 a.m.; contact Kevin Sabo, email@example.com.
- Brad and Libby Todd’s small group, Sundays, 9:45 a.m.; contact Brad at firstname.lastname@example.org.
- Grace and Truth small group, Mondays, 7 p.m.; contact Gary FitzGibbon at email@example.com.
- 1 Kings men’s Bible study, first and third Saturdays, 8:30 a.m.; contact Bill Iwig, firstname.lastname@example.org.
- Mary and Martha Circle, Saturdays, 9 a.m.; contact Pat Sherfey, email@example.com.
- Annandale Book Lovers, third Sundays, 7 p.m.; contact David Barker, firstname.lastname@example.org. At the next meeting, on February 17, the group will discuss books about the 1918 Flu Epidemic.
The FaithJustice Forum
The FaithJustice Forum is a joint ministry of Annandale UMC and the FaithJustice Foundation, founded by one of AUMC’s previous pastors, Rev. Cynthia Johnson-Oliver. The forums explore how faith impacts the important social justice issues of our time and how people of faith are called to speak and take action in ways that do justice, love mercy, and walk humbly with God.
Learn more about upcoming activities at faithjusticefoundation.org.