Because of the coronavirus pandemic, all classes and small groups have moved online. For an overview of AUMC’s response to the coronavirus pandemic, visit annandalechurch.com/cvresponse.
Director: Meredith Lamarche, email@example.com
Although we’ve suspended most activities in person because of the coronavirus pandemic, we remain committed to helping our congregation’s children to continue their spiritual growth. Our current offerings include:
- An online Children’s Corner with Bible-based games, arts and crafts projects, educational resources, and more.
- Two video lessons produced each week with the help of our Sunday School teachers – a pre-k lesson and a K-5 lesson. An email is sent on Fridays with the Youtube links to both of those videos. Each week parents also receive the links to the google drive folders for those specific lessons. This folder includes a family page and a coloring sheet each week for the pre-k kids, and pages which include mazes, coloring sheets, word searches, and other fun activities for K-5 kids.
- Zoom kid’s club meets from 9:30-9:50 a.m. on Sundays for 1st -5th graders. Two Sunday school teachers lead a time of fellowship and discussion about the week’s lesson. This zoom group is not recorded and parents can also opt to keep their video screen turned off if they prefer. For safety and security reasons, the Zoom link will not be posted anywhere but rather sent directly to the parents; contact Meredith at firstname.lastname@example.org if you have not been added to the mailing list.
- An email list for children’s activities. These emails include private Zoom links, information on occasional socially distanced outdoors get-togethers, and more. Contact Meredith at email@example.com to be added to the list.
Join us for a Mother’s Day craft on April 18: We will be gathering outside under the pavilion at Bethlehem Lutheran Church (8922 Little River Turnpike, Fairfax, VA 22031) to make a giftable craft for Mother’s Day. Each family that signs up will get their own table for the activity. To allow as many families as possible to participate while maintaining COVID-19 precautions, we will have two groups. Group 1 is from 2:30-3:30 p.m. and group 2 is from 3:45-4:45 p.m. Masks must be worn at all times. Restrooms will not be available. Registration closes at noon on Friday, April 16; click here to sign up.
Drive-through on April 25: Swing by the church from 4-5 p.m. on Sunday, April 25 to pick up supplies to make gifts for the mothers, grandmothers, and those that are like mothers in your children’s lives for Mother’s Day. We’ll also have a sensory path challenge for the kids to do with prizes upon completion, and they can also participate in making a video for AUMC moms. If you have gently used warm-weather children’s clothing that your child has outgrown, you can also bring that to the drive through to donate to the Children’s Clothing Closet at the Mission Center. If possible, please bag by gender and size. Click here to sign up by April 23.
For more information, contact Meredith Lamarche, Director of Christian Education for Children, at firstname.lastname@example.org.
Director: Rev. Peter Kwon, email@example.com
AUMC provides sixth through twelfth graders with a safe space to grow and explore their faith. For updated youth content (Peter’s Bits) during the coronavirus season, including a weekly video message, visit our Facebook page: https://www.facebook.com/groups/AnnandaleUMCYouth/.
For smaller and shorter content, check out our Instagram page at https://www.instagram.com/annandaleumcyouth/.
Our Youth Are Reading the Gospels during Lent. AUMC Youth will be reading the Gospels during Lent and meeting to discuss it at 10 each night (except Sunday). You might want to try it too! Here’s their reading plan. To keep up with Youth activities email Peter Kwon and ask him to add you to his mailing list.
Coding/Programming Club: Coding is the language of the future, and we believe this is a skill that will help our students in so many ways! Let us know if you are interested in learning how to code and/or program things! Please fill out a survey here and let us know if you are interested!
Sunday School is every week from 9:30-10 a.m. Start your Sunday absolutely pumped for Jesus! Join us at https://us02web.zoom.us/j/86511353610!
We also have a month-long daily devotional available for families to use in worship and spiritual lessons together; click here to see it.
For more information, contact Rev. Peter Kwon, Director of Youth Ministries, at firstname.lastname@example.org.
Director: Rev. Peter Kwon, email@example.com
Young adult ministry at AUMC is for young adults, ages 18-35, who are interested in studying God’s word, sharing in Christian fellowship, and serving together in mission.
The Young Adults participate in a wide variety of other fellowship and mission activities including everything from movie nights and Superbowl parties to packaging meals for the hungry and writing Easter cards for human trafficking survivors. To be added to the AUMC Young Adults email list, contact Rev. Peter Kwon, firstname.lastname@example.org or 703-256-8330.
Our youth and young adults are reading the Bible each weeknight at 10 p.m. for 10 minutes. It’s called the 10:10 challenge. To participate, contact Pastor Peter at email@example.com or find the Zoom link here. The group is currently reading from Paul’s quarantined letters.
Director: Rev. Jason Micheli, firstname.lastname@example.org
Our Academy of Discipleship offers adult Sunday school, mid-week classes, small groups, sermon studies, guest lecturers and more. The Academy is led by Rev. Jason Micheli. Contact him at email@example.com with questions. Because of the pandemic, our classes are currently not meeting in person; check below for a variety of online offerings!
Many of our classes and small groups are meeting remotely during the pandemic. Contact one of these leaders if you’re interested in joining:
- In His Steps class, Sundays, 9:30 a.m.; contact Bill Iwig, firstname.lastname@example.org.
- Issues in Christianity class, Sundays, 10 a.m.; contact Kevin Sabo, email@example.com.
- Brad and Libby Todd’s small group, Sundays, 9:45 a.m.; contact Brad at firstname.lastname@example.org.
- Grace and Truth small group, Mondays, 7 p.m.; contact Gary FitzGibbon at email@example.com.
- 1 Kings men’s Bible study, first and third Saturdays, 8:30 a.m.; contact Bill Iwig, firstname.lastname@example.org.
- Mary and Martha Circle, Saturdays, 9 a.m.; contact Pat Sherfey, email@example.com.
- Annandale Book Lovers, third Sundays, 7 p.m.; contact David Barker, firstname.lastname@example.org. At the next meeting, on February 17, the group will discuss books about the 1918 Flu Epidemic.
The FaithJustice Forum
The FaithJustice Forum is a joint ministry of Annandale UMC and the FaithJustice Foundation, founded by one of AUMC’s previous pastors, Rev. Cynthia Johnson-Oliver. The forums explore how faith impacts the important social justice issues of our time and how people of faith are called to speak and take action in ways that do justice, love mercy, and walk humbly with God.
Learn more about upcoming activities at faithjusticefoundation.org.