AUMC has a wide variety of events for all ages – newcomers are always welcome! We have a list of our special events below.
If you have any questions about the events, contact the church office at 703-256-8330 or firstname.lastname@example.org
We have returned to a single in-person service at 10:30 a.m.! It will include live singing, a sermon, communion, and other familiar parts of the order of worship. The worship service will be live-streamed on Facebook and the website. We will no longer post a prerecorded worship service at 8:30 a.m. We will also be implementing new COVID protocol based on recommendations from the bishop and the Virginia Conference:
- Please enter through Door #1. We will check you off a list of attendees or add your name, email, and phone to the list. Preregistration and temperature checks are no longer required. You may exit through any door.
- Pews will be marked for social distancing. Please follow the ushers’ instructions.
- This week, to provide a keepsake for our children and youth, we will have printed bulletins. The ushers will hand them out
- Offering plates will be in front; please leave your offering when you come forward for communion (we will continue to use the prepackaged communion packs). All undesignated offerings will go to the Operating Budget. If you would like to make a contribution to the Pastors’ Discretionary Fund or other designated fund, please use an envelope or make a notation on the memo line of your check. Giving envelopes and pencils will be in the pews.
- Please maintain social distance if you are not sure of someone’s vaccination status.
- Unvaccinated people 2 years old and up are required to wear masks at all times. Masks are optional for fully vaccinated people. We understand that going unmasked is still a new thing for many after more than a year wearing one: please feel free to do what makes you most comfortable.
New Class on Galatians, June 7 – July 26, 7-8:15 p.m. Join Jason Micheli, David King, and Todd Littleton (pastor of Snow Hill Baptist Church in Oklahoma City) for a Zoom class tying into our new sermon series on the true Gospel meaning of freedom. Sign up at annandalechurch.com/galatiansclass.
Coming This Summer! Add a piece of your story to the beautiful tapestry that is our shared walk with Christ. This summer, Meredith will be leading us in making an intergenerational art project. You can write or draw on a piece of fabric and help weave it together with others on Meredith’s loom. No experience necessary! But before we get started, we need to acquire the yarn that will make it possible. You can buy supplies at www.annandalechurch.com/artwishlist or make a donation at www.annandalechurch.com/giving (choose Other, then designate Intergenerational Art on page 2). Help make the vision a reality!
Family VBS is moving indoors, July 17, 10-4, and July 18, 10:30-2:30. Due to concern about potential high temperatures, Family Vacation Bible School will now be held primarily indoors. Masks are required for all unvaccinated individuals 2+ but are optional for fully vaccinated individuals. We will explore the theme “God Is Faithful” through art, science, music, games, and more! Cost: $30 per family. Scholarships are available; please contact the church office (email@example.com) for more information. Questions? Contact Meredith Lamarche, AUMC’S Children’s Ministries Director, at firstname.lastname@example.org. Register at annandalechurch.com/vbs2021
Youth Hometown Summer Mission, July 19-23: Planning for summer vacation? Parents and youth, please schedule around our Hometown Summer Mission Trip that will take place from July 19th to 23rd! We have teamed up with non-profit organizations in our NOVA community to serve others and do mission work! More info will be ironed out between our cohort church friends, but we hope that you will keep our Hometown Summer Mission in the back of your mind when you are planning for your summer!
Return of Awesome August: We’re planning some fun event for August. Be part of the group going to the Nationals vs. the Cubs game on Sunday, August 1. Later in the month we’ll host a church picnic following a Sunday morning worship service. And we’ll see what else we’ll be able to do by August.
Celebrate AUMC’s 175th Anniversary on Oct. 3
Annandale Methodist Episcopal Church (now AUMC) was founded on Oct. 1, 1846. We will hold a celebration on Oct. 3 – mark your calendars! As we arrive at this significant milestone, we want to move into the future by shoring up the past. The 175th Little White Church Project will give this landmark Annandale building the upkeep and recognition it deserves. We will:
• Replace the historic sign with one that is more visible and historically accurate
• Refurbish and protect the bell and masonry structure at the site of the sign
• Paint the Little White Church and the auxiliary building
• Upgrade the landscaping around the sign and behind the LWC
• Place a historic plaque and have the county install a historic marker road sign
Our fundraising goal for the project and future upkeep is $50,000. Your generosity is needed and much appreciated! Those who give $5,000 or more will be recognized on the historical marker. To give online at annandalechurch.com/giving, put the amount you want to give in the LWC – 175th ANNIVERSARY line. If giving by check, please write 175 LWC on the memo line. Thank you for helping.
Volunteers needed to help with our A/V needs: We’ve ordered new video cameras to improve our online worship experience. When the new equipment arrives, we’ll have opportunities for volunteers to learn how to use the cameras and help us record the services. This is a chance to learn about the latest technology and help your church! Contact our Director of Worship, Pat Vaughn, at email@example.com.
Check our Human Sexuality page to learn what determinations were made at General Conference, how AUMC is responding, and to read transcripts of Rev. Jason Micheli’s Bible study on “Sexuality and the Bible.”