AUMC has a wide variety of events for all ages – newcomers are always welcome! We have a list of our special events below. Click here to read our November 12 Witness newsletter for details, news, and more.
If you have any questions about the events, contact the church office at 703-256-8330 or email@example.com
Helping those affected by Hurricane Dorian: The United Methodist Committee on Relief (UMCOR) helps victims of hurricanes and other natural disasters in the U.S. and around the world. You can donate to UMCOR’s efforts by writing a check to AUMC and putting “UMCOR” in the memo line. Or donate directly by going to https://advance.umcor.org/.
Check our Human Sexuality page to learn what determinations were made at General Conference, how AUMC is responding, and to read transcripts of Rev. Jason Micheli’s Bible study on “Sexuality and the Bible.”
Sunday, Dec. 1 – Sunday, Dec. 8: Hypothermia Week. Each year after Thanksgiving, we open our doors to those in need by providing a warm meal and a safe place to sleep at night in the Media Center. If you can help with setup, clean-up, preparing and serving meals, or staying overnight, sign up in the atrium or visit www.annandalechurch.com/hypothermia. Donations of clothing and toiletries are also appreciated. See the table in the atrium for suggested items. Also, there will be a holiday table-decorating contest this year. For details, see Teresa Beyer or Carolyn Stayman, or contact Teresa at 301-221-8321 or firstname.lastname@example.org.
Sunday, Dec. 8: Second Sunday of Advent
- Contemporary worship (8:30 a.m.)
- Advent music service (11 a.m.): Our Festival Choir will provide seasonal music as we continue our celebration of Advent.
Sunday, Dec. 8: Rising Hope Angel Tree donations are due. If you purchased a Christmas gift to be donated to the Rising Hope United Methodist Mission Church, please leave the wrapped gift them under the tree in the atrium.
Saturday, Dec. 14: Pageant rehearsal and St. Nick’s Workshop.
– The children’s Christmas pageant rehearsal will be 9 a.m.–noon, followed by an optional lunch from noon-12:30 p.m.
– All are welcome to join us for St. Nick’s Workshop from 12:30–2:30 p.m. Families with children are invited to make gifts, decorate cookies, play games and have their photos taken. Open to the entire Annandale community. Sign up at annandalechurch.com/stnick.
Saturday, Dec. 14: The next furniture delivery for AUMC volunteers will be 8–11:30 a.m. The team meets at the ACCA warehouse next to the Little White Church and delivers furniture to those in need. Contact Ted Torsch at 443-415-8954 to help or for more information.
- Children’s Christmas Pageant (8:30 and 11 a.m.): Infant to fifth-grade children present a Christmas pageant retelling the story of Jesus’ birth, complete with Mary and Joseph, angels, shepherds, animals and more.
Sunday, Dec. 15: Food collection for the AUMC Mission Center in the baskets inside the front doors of the church.
Sunday, Dec. 22: Fourth Sunday of Advent
- Contemporary worship (8:30 a.m.)
- Lessons and Carols (11 a.m.): A service of scripture and song in anticipation of Christ’s birth.
- Caroling at Evergreen (12:15 p.m.): Get a quick bite to eat with us after the 11 a.m. service, then join us for caroling next door at Evergreen House.
- An Evening in December (6:30 p.m.): Members of our congregation bring their gifts of instrumental and vocal music for an evening of Christmas music in the sanctuary.
Tuesday, Dec. 24: Christmas Eve
- Family Christmas service (4 p.m.)
- Traditional service with choir (7 p.m.)
- Traditional service with ensemble (11 p.m.)
Candle lighting and communion at all three services
- Live nativity (3–6 p.m.): A nativity scene in front of the church with live animals. Bring the kids!
Wednesday, Dec. 25 – Thursday, Dec. 26: The church office will be closed for Christmas.
Sunday, Dec. 29, 10:30 a.m.: combined worship service. College Sunday: our returning college students will lead us in worship.
Sunday, Jan. 5, 6:30 p.m.: Brethren Epiphany concert. Ring in the New Year with a message of good will and hope! Tickets on sale after Thanksgiving: $10 in advance, $15 at the door.