AUMC has a wide variety of events for all ages – newcomers are always welcome! We have a list of our special events below. Click here to read our November 12 Witness newsletter for details, news, and more.
If you have any questions about the events, contact the church office at 703-256-8330 or firstname.lastname@example.org
Christmas Pageant registration is due Dec. 1! The sign up form for infants – fifth grade children is online at annandalechurch.com/pageant.
Join the Festival Choir. We are gearing up for our Advent Music service on Dec. 8. If you are college age or above, join us for this brief time commitment, Wednesdays, 7:15–8 p.m., in the Choir Room (Room 113), running Oct. 23 through Dec. 4. Contact Pat Vaughn at email@example.com for details.
Helping those affected by Hurricane Dorian: The United Methodist Committee on Relief (UMCOR) helps victims of hurricanes and other natural disasters in the U.S. and around the world. You can donate to UMCOR’s efforts by writing a check to AUMC and putting “UMCOR” in the memo line. Or donate directly by going to https://advance.umcor.org/.
Check our Human Sexuality page to learn what determinations were made at General Conference, how AUMC is responding, and to read transcripts of Rev. Jason Micheli’s Bible study on “Sexuality and the Bible.”
Monday, Nov. 11: A tribute to military veterans will be held on Veterans Day in the AUMC Cemetery. American Legion Post 1976 and AUMC members will implant American flags at the grave sites of the 41 veterans interred in the cemetery. Members of the congregation are invited to participate and should gather at the cemetery flagpole at 8:50 a.m. Contact Mike Moser at 703-591-1210 or firstname.lastname@example.org.
Monday, Nov. 11: The church office will be closed for Veterans’ Day.
Saturday, Nov. 16: Youth paintball is back by popular demand! All youth (6th-12th grade) are invited to join us for an afternoon of paintball. We’ll get a quick bite of food on the way to the facility (TBD) and come back around 6 p.m. More information will follow, but the date is definitely set! Contact Peter for details at email@example.com.
Sunday, Nov. 17: Food collection for the AUMC Mission Center in the baskets inside the front doors of the church.
Sunday, Nov. 17, 7 p.m.: Annandale Book Lovers meet in the parlor (Room 203). The book club will be reading Bah Humbug by Michael Rosen.
Sunday, Nov. 24: Commitment Sunday. Our annual stewardship campaign is underway. Your generous giving allows AUMC to fund programs and ministries that touch many lives with the love of Christ. Our Finance Committee will be making presentations on Sundays during November, culminating with Commitment Sunday, Nov. 24. Please pick up your packet in the atrium for information on ways to give.
Sunday, Nov. 24, 10:30 a.m.: Single Sunday service. Noted theologian Stanley Hauerwas will be our guest preacher on Nov. 24, Commitment Sunday. We will have a single service at 10:30 a.m., followed by a luncheon in Wright Hall. Sunday school will meet at 9:30 a.m. Dr. Hauerwas earned a Ph.D. at Yale University and a Doctor of Divinity at the University of Edinburgh. In 2001, he was named “America’s Best Theologian” by Time magazine. All are invited to stay for lunch after the service, but please RSVP with the number in your party to firstname.lastname@example.org or call 703-256-8330, ext. 0. If you need childcare during the luncheon, contact Children’s Ministries Director Meredith Bond, email@example.com, by Nov. 17.
Tuesday, Nov. 26, 7:30 p.m.: ACCA Thanksgiving service in the sanctuary. All are welcome to attend this annual ecumenical worship service by the Annandale Community for Christian Action.
Thursday, Nov. 28 – Friday, Nov. 29: The church office is closed for Thanksgiving.
- Contemporary worship (8:30 a.m.)
- Hanging of the Greens (11 a.m.): This worship service of preparation for Christ’s coming includes hanging greenery traditionally associated with Christmas and everlasting life.
Sunday, Dec. 1: Due date for Children’s Christmas Pageant registration. The sign up form for infants-fifth grade children is online at annandalechurch.com/pageant.
Sunday, Dec. 1: Due date for poinsettia orders. We are planning to place poinsettias in the sanctuary on Sunday, Dec. 22 (through Dec. 24). If you would like to purchase a poinsettia in honor or memory of a loved one, look for information and an order form in upcoming bulletins. Poinsettias will cost $17 each.
Sunday, Dec. 1: Food collection for ACCA (Annandale Christian Community for Action) in the baskets inside the front doors of the church.
Sunday, Dec. 1 – Sunday, Dec. 8: Hypothermia Week. Each year after Thanksgiving, we open our doors to those in need by providing a warm meal and a safe place to sleep at night in the Media Center. If you can help with setup, clean-up, preparing and serving meals, or staying overnight, sign up in the atrium or visit www.annandalechurch.com/hypothermia. Donations of clothing and toiletries are also appreciated. See the table in the atrium for suggested items. Also, there will be a holiday table-decorating contest this year. For details, see Teresa Beyer or Carolyn Stayman, or contact Teresa at 301-221-8321 or firstname.lastname@example.org.
Sunday, Dec. 8: Second Sunday of Advent
- Contemporary worship (8:30 a.m.)
- Advent music service (11 a.m.): Our Festival Choir will provide seasonal music as we continue our celebration of Advent.
Saturday, Dec. 14: Pageant rehearsal and St. Nick’s Workshop.
– The children’s Christmas pageant rehearsal will be 9 a.m.–noon, followed by an optional lunch from noon-12:30 p.m.
– All are welcome to join us for St. Nick’s Workshop from 12:30–2:30 p.m. Families with children are invited to make gifts, decorate cookies, play games and have their photos taken. Open to the entire Annandale community.
- Children’s Christmas Pageant (8:30 and 11 a.m.): Infant to fifth-grade children present a Christmas pageant retelling the story of Jesus’ birth, complete with Mary and Joseph, angels, shepherds, animals and more.
Sunday, Dec. 15: Food collection for the AUMC Mission Center in the baskets inside the front doors of the church.
Sunday, Dec. 22: Fourth Sunday of Advent
- Contemporary worship (8:30 a.m.)
- Lessons and Carols (11 a.m.): A service of scripture and song in anticipation of Christ’s birth.
- Caroling at Evergreen (12:15 p.m.): Get a quick bite to eat with us after the 11 a.m. service, then join us for caroling next door at Evergreen House.
- An Evening in December (6:30 p.m.): Members of our congregation bring their gifts of instrumental and vocal music for an evening of Christmas music in the sanctuary.
Tuesday, Dec. 24: Christmas Eve
- Family Christmas service (4 p.m.)
- Traditional service with choir (7 p.m.)
- Traditional service with ensemble (11 p.m.)
Candle lighting and communion at all three services
- Live nativity (3–6 p.m.): A nativity scene in front of the church with live animals. Bring the kids!
Wednesday, Dec. 25 – Thursday, Dec. 26: The church office will be closed for Christmas.
Sunday, Dec. 29, 10:30 a.m.: combined worship service. College Sunday: our returning college students will lead us in worship.
Sunday, Jan. 5, 6:30 p.m.: Brethren Epiphany concert. Ring in the New Year with a message of good will and hope! Tickets on sale after Thanksgiving: $10 in advance, $15 at the door.