Because of the coronavirus pandemic, all classes and small groups have moved online. For an overview of AUMC’s response to the coronavirus pandemic, visit annandalechurch.com/cvresponse.
Director: Meredith Lamarche, firstname.lastname@example.org
Although we’ve suspended most activities in person because of the coronavirus pandemic, we remain committed to helping our congregation’s children to continue their spiritual growth. Our current offerings include:
- An online Children’s Corner with Bible-based games, arts and crafts projects, educational resources, and more.
- Two video lessons produced each week with the help of our Sunday School teachers – a pre-k lesson and a K-5 lesson. An email is sent on Fridays with the Youtube links to both of those videos. Each week parents also receive the links to the google drive folders for those specific lessons. This folder includes a family page and a coloring sheet each week for the pre-k kids, and pages which include mazes, coloring sheets, word searches, and other fun activities for K-5 kids.
- Zoom kid’s club meets from 9:30-9:50 a.m. on Sundays for 1st -5th graders. Two Sunday school teachers lead a time of fellowship and discussion about the week’s lesson. This zoom group is not recorded and parents can also opt to keep their video screen turned off if they prefer. For safety and security reasons, the Zoom link will not be posted anywhere but rather sent directly to the parents; contact Meredith at email@example.com if you have not been added to the mailing list.
- An email list for children’s activities. These emails include private Zoom links, information on occasional socially distanced outdoors get-togethers, and more. Contact Meredith at firstname.lastname@example.org to be added to the list.
Check out our virtual children’s Advent Sunday school: Throughout Advent, Children’s Sunday school video lessons will be taking a special turn as a different family reads a Christmas book each week. After watching the video lesson with these stories, children are then invited to the kid’s club from 9:30-9:50 am on zoom each Sunday morning to discuss the story and share in the Christmas spirit. Let us know if your child would like to be part of this.
For more information, contact Meredith Lamarche, Director of Christian Education for Children, at email@example.com.
Director: Rev. Peter Kwon, firstname.lastname@example.org
AUMC provides sixth through twelfth graders with a safe space to grow and explore their faith. For updated youth content (Peter’s Bits) during the coronavirus season, including a weekly video message, visit our Facebook page: https://www.facebook.com/groups/AnnandaleUMCYouth/.
For smaller and shorter content, check out our Instagram page at https://www.instagram.com/annandaleumcyouth/.
There is a 10-minute daily reading of letters written by Paul while he was quarantined (in prison), starting at 10 p.m. [10/10]. Get the calendar alert by clicking the link below: https://us02web.zoom.us/meeting/tZ0rcO2gpj8qG9wlKkArJ-wc3qj0iBqkGLwf/ics?icsToken=98tyKuGhqDwuEtyRsBiPRpx5BI_CLPzxiClfjfpKkDTuIjJ5LxT1ZfNIYrtdAdP3 Or join directly at https://us02web.zoom.us/j/89674884018.
We also have a month-long daily devotional available for families to use in worship and spiritual lessons together; click here to see it.
For more information, contact Rev. Peter Kwon, Director of Youth Ministries, at email@example.com.
Director: Rev. Peter Kwon, firstname.lastname@example.org
Young adult ministry at AUMC is for young adults, ages 18-35, who are interested in studying God’s word, sharing in Christian fellowship, and serving together in mission.
The Young Adults participate in a wide variety of other fellowship and mission activities including everything from movie nights and Superbowl parties to packaging meals for the hungry and writing Easter cards for human trafficking survivors. To be added to the AUMC Young Adults email list, contact Rev. Peter Kwon, email@example.com or 703-256-8330.
Our youth and young adults are reading the Bible each weeknight at 10 p.m. for 10 minutes. It’s called the 10:10 challenge. To participate, contact Pastor Peter at firstname.lastname@example.org or find the Zoom link here. The group is currently reading from Paul’s quarantined letters.
Director: Rev. Jason Micheli, email@example.com
Our Academy of Discipleship offers adult Sunday school, mid-week classes, small groups, sermon studies, guest lecturers and more. The Academy is led by Rev. Jason Micheli. Contact him at firstname.lastname@example.org with questions. Because of the pandemic, our classes are currently not meeting in person; check below for a variety of online offerings!
- In His Steps class, Sundays, 9:30 a.m.; contact Bill Iwig, email@example.com. The class is currently studying When In Romans by Beverly Roberts Gaventa. Dr. Gaventa is a professor of New Testament at Baylor University and previously taught at Princeton Theological Seminary. This is not a verse-by-verse, chapter-by-chapter study of Romans. Rather, it discusses the major themes in Paul’s letter.
- Issues in Christianity class, Sundays, 10 a.m.; contact Kevin Sabo, firstname.lastname@example.org.
- Brad and Libby Todd’s small group, Sundays, 9:45 a.m.; contact Brad at email@example.com. The group recently started a new book: Raising Kingdom Kids.
- Grace and Truth small group, Mondays, 7 p.m.; contact Gary FitzGibbon at firstname.lastname@example.org.
- 1 Kings men’s Bible study, first and third Saturdays, 8:30 a.m.; contact Bill Iwig, email@example.com.
- Mary and Martha Circle, Saturdays, 9 a.m.; contact Pat Sherfey, firstname.lastname@example.org.
- Annandale Book Lovers, third Sundays, 7 p.m.; contact David Barker, email@example.com. For November, the book club is reading Shepherds Abiding, a Milford Christmas Story by Jan Karon.
The FaithJustice Forum
The FaithJustice Forum is a joint ministry of Annandale UMC and the FaithJustice Foundation, founded by one of AUMC’s previous pastors, Rev. Cynthia Johnson-Oliver. The forums explore how faith impacts the important social justice issues of our time and how people of faith are called to speak and take action in ways that do justice, love mercy, and walk humbly with God.
Learn more about upcoming activities at faithjusticefoundation.org.