AUMC’s main building at 6935 Columbia Pike contains dozens of activities for all ages spread across three floors. For newcomers, it can be a bit of a maze. Let’s sort it all out!
Annandale UMC Main Campus
6935 Columbia Pike, Annandale, VA 22003
For directions to our main campus on Columbia Pike, click here.
Most Annandale United Methodist Church activities, including Sunday services, occur on our Columbia Pike campus near the intersection of Gallows Road and Columbia Pike. The church office is open Monday through Friday, 8:30 a.m. to 4:30 p.m.
The office phone number is 703-256-8330.The fax is 703-914-8896.
AUMC Mission Center
7901 Heritage Drive, Annandale, VA 22003
For directions to our mission center on Heritage Drive, click here.
The Heritage Drive campus primarily hosts mission activities such as a weekly food distribution and tutoring program. It is next to the Heritage Shopping Center, closer to the side with the H-Mart. Heritage Drive is just off Little River Turnpike, near the 495 beltway exit.
On Sundays, we encourage congregants to come through our glass doors (#1) straight into the atrium. From 8:30 a.m. – 4:30 p.m. on weekdays, we use Door #2, which has a security system connected to the church office. This is a precautionary measure for the sake of our preschool programs. Press the button on the post so the office knows you’re here and we’d be happy to let you in!
Major Locations And the second floor
Most large activities at AUMC take place in the Sanctuary, Hughes Hall or Wright Hall. Hughes Hall is a smaller sanctuary, while Wright Hall can be configured for dining, dodgeball, or anything else we need. These are all on the second floor, adjacent to the atrium. The church and pastors’ offices are down the hall.
The second floor also includes our nursery, where childcare is provided during many church activities, the parlor, and a few meeting rooms.
Down on the First floor
While most of the first floor is taken up by preschool classrooms, it does include our choir room, youth room and Media Center. The Media Center (room 111) is a large room used for everything from housing the homeless during Hypothermia week to hosting driving classes for seniors.
Up to the Third Floor
Our Sunday School classes for children and adults primarily meet on the third floor. The children meet in the rooms along the hallway directly above the church office, while the adults meet in the other rooms.
AUMC has ramps leading to Doors #1 and #2 on the main floor, an automatic door opening switch on Door #2, along with two elevators reaching all floors.
A Historic Space
Annandale United Methodist has a rich heritage spanning more than 170 years.
The first Annandale Methodist Episcopal Church was built in 1846 on land donated by William Garges. During the Civil War, the small frame building was taken over by the Union Army for use as a hospital. It was burned, along with the rest of the village, when the army withdrew from the area. Capt. Ambrose Cock, a trustee, opened his home for worship services until a new building was completed in 1870 on land he had donated. This is now known as the Little White Church. In 1907 a vestibule, belfry and pulpit extension were added. In 1908 the Ladies’ Aid raised money for a bell to hang in the steeple, which served as the only fire alarm in Annandale until 1923.
(The graveyard is older than the church – the oldest stone is dated 1828.)
In 1946 a brick building was erected on the hill on land given by Mr. and Mrs. Vernon Lynch. The area was growing rapidly with many young families. This was reflected in a thriving Sunday School that filled every corner with classes for children, youth and adults. In response to this pressure a larger sanctuary and more classrooms were built in 1955. A Weekday Preschool was established in 1961 and a Mother’s Day Out program (now ELP) in 1965. Both of these programs still provide an enriching experience for young children.
In 1965 the office wing was built. Church membership peaked in 1968 at 2815. Three services were held each Sunday morning. Music was always an important part of worship and the first full time music director, Louise Miller, was hired in 1985.
A Baptist congregation joined the Annandale community in 1942 thus ending the Methodist monopoly in the area. Today churches of numerous denominations are located in Annandale. Twenty-five of them have banded together in the Annandale Christian Community for Action (ACCA) to meet needs of low income families with such services as day care, emergency food and transportation. AUMC was one of the eight founding churches in 1968 and continues as a strong supporter.
Easter, 1996, was celebrated in the newest and largest sanctuary. This was the culmination of a project begun in February 1989. An expanded music department and an all-day care facility for young children were included to meet the needs of a changing community.
2009 saw a major renovation to the existing facilities with such things as new windows and carpeting throughout the building and a redecorated fellowship hall.