Coronavirus update: The AUMC preschool programs are closed until further notice.
As a mission of Annandale United Methodist Church, the Weekday Children’s Programs purpose is to provide an enriching educational environment for young children and their families, one that fosters a love of learning, awareness of self and others, and a sense of accomplishment built on a child’s natural curiosity.
We are committed to creating communities for children, families, and staff that:
- Are safe and nurturing
- Enhance positive growth, development, and self-esteem
- Provide developmentally appropriate, stimulating, and creative curricula
- Respect and accept people of all cultures, religions, abilities, genders, ages, family structures, and sexual orientation
- *Our ultimate goal is to assist children in developing into happy, healthy, self-confident individuals.
Check the links below to learn more about our individual programs.
|Early Learning Program||Weekday Preschool||Child Development Center|
|Child Ages||1-3 years old||3-5 years old||3 months - kindergarten|
|Days Available||1-3 days, Tuesday-Thursday||2-5 days, Monday-Friday||Week long, Monday-Friday|
Keeping Your Child Safe
- All staff are certified in CPR and First Aid. Security checks are performed on each staff member.
- All classrooms and playgrounds offer safety inspected and age-appropriate equipment which meet the standards of NAEYC and Virginia Licensing.
- Security measures and procedures are in place to ensure the safety of all our children while at AUMC. An Emergency Prepardeness Plan [EPP] has been instituted and teachers are trained to cover all emergency situations. This plan, along with blueprints of the building which contains highlighted rooms where children are located, is on file with the Fairfax County Police Department [Mason District Office] as well as with the Annandale Fire Department. Regular evacuation drills are practiced to prepare children for fires, tornadoes, earthquakes, shelter-in-place, and lock-down procedures. Primary, secondary, and tertiary evacuation routes are rehearsed, and primary and secondary evacuation locations established. Click here for an overview of The Emergency Preparedness Plan. The full EPP is available for parent review upon request in the office.
- The building remains locked during school hours. All parents are asked to enter through Entrance #2 where someone will be posted to monitor who enters the building during start times and dismissal times only. At all other times, it will be necessary to use the intercom to be screened and buzzed in from the office. A picture ID may be required for entry.
- No child will be released to anyone other than the parent or a person who has been designated in writing on the required Child Release Form. The designee must present a government issued photo ID prior to taking the child.
- Each year an opportunity is provided for parents to have safety identification cards made through Ident-a-Kid Services of America for their children which include the child’s photograph, fingerprints, and other identifying information that could assist police in the event the child was lost or missing. Participation is an optional service provided by the school.
Executive Director of Weekday Children’s Programs: Angela Wilmore, AWilmore@annandale-umc.org, 703-256-5244
Angela’s first job was that of a nanny, and she later took over a daycare center owned by her grandmother. Over the next 30 years, she held positions at nonprofits, corporations, public schools and consulting firms where she led teams focused on early childhood education. In July of 2017, she became the director of AUMC’s Child Development Center, and in September 2018 became the executive director of AUMC’s three weekday programs. She has a degree in organizational management from Palm Beach Atlantic University, a master’s degree in organizational leadership from Nova Southeastern University in Fort Lauderdale, and associate’s degrees in accounting and child development. Read an interview with Angela in AUMC’s Feb. 2019 monthly newsletter, the Witness.
Senior Program Director, AUMC Child Development Center: BreAune Rice, brice@annandale-umc-org, 703-256-8666, ex.103
Program Director, AUMC Early Learning Program: Ruth Anne Luckenbaugh, rluckenbaugh@annandale-umc-org, 703-256-8667.
Senior Program Director, AUMC Weekday Preschool Program: Michelle Shepard, mshepard@annandale-umc-org, 703-256-1100.