Our Building

6935 Columbia Pike, Annandale VA 22003

Getting Into Our Main Campus

On Sundays, we encourage congregants to come through our glass doors (#1) straight into the atrium. From 9 a.m. – 1  p.m. on weekdays, we use Door #2, which has a security system connected to the church office. This is a precautionary measure for the sake of our preschool programs. Press the button on the post so the office knows you’re here and we’d be happy to let you in!

Finding your way around

Most large activities at AUMC take place on the main floor in the Sanctuary, Hughes Hall or Wright Hall. Hughes Hall is a smaller sanctuary, while Wright Hall can be configured for dining, dodgeball, or anything else we need. These are all adjacent to the atrium on the second floor, which is the ground floor for the front of the church. This floor also includes the staff and pastors’ offices, our nursery where childcare is provided during many church activities, the parlor, and a few meeting rooms.

The first floor (which is the ground floor for the back of the church) is primarily taken up by preschool classrooms. It also includes our choir room, youth room, and Media Center. The Media Center (room 111) is a large room used for everything from housing the homeless during Hypothermia week to hosting driving classes for seniors.

The third floor is where our Sunday School classes for children and adults meet. The children meet in the rooms along the hallway directly above the church office, while the adults meet in the other rooms.


AUMC has ramps leading to Doors #1 and #2 on the main floor, an automatic door opening switch on Door #2, along with two elevators reaching all floors.

Volunteer Positions Available

Security and Emergency Procedures Coordinator: Update and maintain our Emergency Preparedness and Response Plan. Coordinate training for ushers and staff, schedule appropriate exercises, ensure first aid kits and AEDs are maintained. Contact Becky Sellner at rwsellner@gmail.com or Dana A. Goward at dagoward@gmail.com

Energy Conservation Coordinator: Help reduce our $80,000/year energy bill! Leader and workers needed to work with Trustees, develop a program, and assist staff in reducing our energy consumption. Contact Dana A. Goward at dagoward@gmail.com or Becky Sellner at rwsellner@gmail.com

Event Hosts: Help us host religious and civic groups using our facilities evenings and weekends. Hosts ensure guest groups know where things, what rooms can be accessed, and serve as a liaison to church staff. Orientation training provided, compensation available. Contact Harry Elanko at helanko@annandale-umc.org or Dana A. Goward at dagoward@gmail.com

Our Main Campus

6935 Columbia Pike, Annandale VA 22003

Most Annandale United Methodist Church activities, including Sunday services, occur on our Columbia Pike campus near the intersection of Gallows Road and Columbia Pike. The church office is open Monday through Thursday, 9 a.m. to 1 p.m.
The office phone number is 703-256-8330. The fax is 703-914-8896.

The Mission Center

7901 Heritage Drive, Annandale VA 22003

The Heritage Drive campus primarily hosts mission activities such as a weekly food distribution and tutoring program. It is next to the Heritage Shopping Center, closer to the side with the H-Mart. Heritage Drive is just off Little River Turnpike, near the 495 beltway exit.
Visit the Missions page to learn more about activities.

A Historic Space

Our rich heritage spans more than 175 years

The first Annandale Methodist Episcopal Church was built in 1846 on land donated by William Garges. During the Civil War, the small frame building was taken over by the Union Army for use as a hospital. It was burned, along with the rest of the village, when the army withdrew from the area. Capt. Ambrose Cock, a trustee, opened his home for worship services until a new building was completed in 1870 on land he had donated. This is now known as the Little White Church. In 1907 a vestibule, belfry and pulpit extension were added. In 1908 the Ladies’ Aid raised money for a bell to hang in the steeple, which served as the only fire alarm in Annandale until 1923.

(The graveyard is older than the church – the oldest stone is dated 1828.)

In 1946 a brick building was erected on the hill on land given by Mr. and Mrs. Vernon Lynch. The area was growing rapidly with many young families. This was reflected in a thriving Sunday School that filled every corner with classes for children, youth, and adults. In response to this pressure a larger sanctuary and more classrooms were built in 1955. A Weekday Preschool was established in 1961 and a Mother’s Day Out program (now ELP) in 1965. Both of these programs still provide an enriching experience for young children.
In 1965 the office wing was built. Church membership peaked in 1968 at 2815. Three services were held each Sunday morning. Music was always an important part of worship and the first full time music director, Louise Miller, was hired in 1985.

A Baptist congregation joined the Annandale community in 1942, thus ending the Methodist monopoly in the area. Today churches of numerous denominations are located in Annandale. Twenty-five of them have banded together in the Annandale Christian Community for Action (ACCA) to meet needs of low income families with such services as day care, emergency food, and transportation. AUMC was one of the eight founding churches in 1968 and continues as a strong supporter.

Easter, 1996, was celebrated in the newest and largest sanctuary. This was the culmination of a project begun in February 1989. An expanded music department and an all-day care facility for young children were included to meet the needs of a changing community. 2009 saw a major renovation to the existing facilities with such things as new windows and carpeting throughout the building and a redecorated fellowship hall. In 2021, we celebrated our 175th anniversary with a rededication ceremony.